Sunday, October 7, 2007

More on Eber Raul

During my stay in Honduras I asked Claudia, the director of El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza, to tell me more about Eber Raul. She told me that Eber Raul is from San Pedro Sula, a large city near the North coast of Honduras. While Eber’s mother was working all day, Eber was on the streets begging for money. He was admitted to El Hogar in February 2006.

Some time ago, Claudia has taken Eber Raul back to San Pedro Sula to visit his mother, but could not leave him to stay with her. Claudia did not think Eber would be safe there, and that Eber would be sent out to beg on the streets again. Claudia told me that once Eber’s mother came to El Hogar and wanted to take Eber back with her. Claudia did not want Eber to go—at El Hogar Eber was safe, well fed and was being educated. Eber’s mother then left saying that she did not care if Eber Raul came with her or not.

Eber Raul is a very clever and outgoing boy. He is doing well in his classes. He is in first grade, but he is taking some of his classes with the second grade. He also seems to get in trouble a lot. On Friday night he was sent to go to bed early I think because he was running around without his shoes on. Saturday morning, he was one of several boys sent off to sweep the dormitory after breakfast undoubtedly due to some mischief accomplished in the morning.

Saying goodbye to Eber Raul was very difficult on several levels. Using the very few words of Spanish that I know I tried to explain that my group was leaving and going back to the United States. He just stared at me silently, and tears started rolling out of his eyes. I tried to say that I will write him letters, and that I will return, and I hugged him again. I could not make him stop crying. I had to leave and Eber Raul had to continue sweeping the dormitory.

No comments: