Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Indestructible Bottle of Kefir

If you have never had kefir, I encourage you to be adventurous. Go buy a bottle at a grocery store and try it. Very similar to buttermilk, kefir actually tastes quite good. I would suggest starting with the plain one. I have never tried any flavored ones, but I suspect they’ll be much sweeter.

But the story awaits, (and so does the bottle itself).

Our refrigerators at work are cleaned every other Friday or so. Usually a member of the cleaning stuff sticks a “warning” sign on the refrigerator door a few days in advance. The sign includes “Please Save” stickers that we use for any items we do not want to thrown away.

Usually the cleaning is rather aggressive. After all I don’t own the fancy lunch bag with my company’s logo anymore. Nowadays I make sure to plaster the “Please Save” stickers all over my food.

Lately, the refrigerator has been exuding a rather distinct aroma, and not a pleasant one. I have decided to blame a bottle of kefir, standing guard in the refrigerator door. It is a lonely white bottle, about half full, that has been there for a few months. It was “best before” sometime in December, 2007. The bottle must have a special rapport with the cleaning stuff, as I can find no other way to explain how it survived through so many refrigerator cleanings without a single “Please Save” sticker.

This past Friday was no different, and my wishes were not fulfilled. The refrigerator looked wonderfully empty after the cleaning, but the evil white bottle still towered in the door. The refrigerator always smells great after cleaning, but eventually the foul smell creeps out and infiltrates the cold interiors.

So what should be done about this survivor of a bottle? I have considered tossing it myself, but I am afraid of my coworkers’ wrath. Being the subject of a “Who threw out my rotten kefir—I was breeding a new strain of fungus” thread on the company Hassles newsgroup is not an item on my objectives list. I have considered asking the cleaning lady why she hasn’t tossed it yet, but I have a good rapport with this cleaning lady. What if it is her kefir! I don’t want her to start tossing my lunch out every morning.

And so the kefir lives on. Will it live forever?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! i'd throw it out. and if i felt guilty, i would buy a new bottle to replace it.

Anonymous said...

ha! i'd throw it out. and if i felt guilty, i would buy a new bottle to replace it.

jcnemecek said...

I was coming here to suggest the same thing--buy a new bottle and swap it out.

If someone's attached to that bottle being in that stop, they won't notice if you swap it out for a fresh one.