Monday, May 19, 2008

Блинчики

While in Moscow, Nick and I ate a lot of blintzes. We ordered them at the restaurants and cafes. We bought them ready made at grocery stores. We ate the at my friends’ house. Plain, filled with meat, tvorog, mushrooms, red caviar, or smoke salmon, they were delicious.

Unfortunately, here in the US blintzes are not as readily available. So Saturday morning I decided to quench my nostalgia and make my own blintzes. I followed the recipe from Victor’s Café, making 1/3 of the amount and adding a little extra sugar. Starting with a few somewhat thick and slightly darker ones, I managed to produce a few round thin blintzes. Nick and I opened a jar of red caviar, made some tea, and relived some of the best moments of our trip.

5 comments:

jcnemecek said...

I've seen blintzes in the freezer section of the regular U.S. grocery stores here. I don't know how good they are. I imagine the Russian grocery store near my house might have something better.

No Russian restaurants in Boston?

Helen said...

The blintzes I have seen in the freezer section of the grocery stores here are prefilled. They aren't bad, but pretty bad compared to home-made stuff. I am not sure about the Russian grocery stores--I think they also sell prefilled ones. Though they probably do taste better then the frozen stuff. Victor's Cafe definitely makes great blintzes. I would just avoid the ones with chicken.

may said...

they look like crepes. are they similar? I remember eating lots of crepes in Paris.

Helen said...

Crepes and blintzes are very similar. I think of plain blintzes as being a bit more savory and richer then plain crepes. Of course there is always various within each kind.

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that you're already craving blintzes less than two weeks after getting home from Russia. : ) I enjoyed all our blintzes in Russia, but I also had a hard time telling the difference between crepes and the blintzes. I chalked the similarity up to that 18th century French influence in Russia . . . .

Anyway, now you're making me hungry for smoked salmon. :-)