Tuesday, April 21, 2009

113th Boston Marathon

Yesterday over 20,000 runners participated in the 113th Boston Marathon. It was quite windy, but the temperatures were mild. No rain is all I asked for, since I got to spend a good chunk of the day cheering the runners. After running for Dana Farber last year, this year I joined the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge cheering section at mile 25. We put DFMC signs and lots of ballons up before Beacon Street was closed to traffic, and settled in to wait for the runners.

The wheelchairs came first.

W. Tsuchida on her way to win in the Wheelchairs:Women division yet again The elite women runners zoomed by so fast that I barely had time to blink. So I made sure I was prepared when the elite men came by.

Here comes the winner, Deriba Merga

Daniel Rono on his way to the 2nd place finish
I made an extra effort to capture Ryan Hall going for his 3rd place finish.

Ryan Hall about to finish 3rd
Ryan Hall
Of course we cheered the loudest when the DFMC runners came through.


After watching the marathon, I walked over to my friend's place further down on Beacon Street to feed her cats. The living room windows faced Beacon street, and the cats seemed completely fascinated by the marathon.

Suzanne's cats, mesmorized by the marathon

No comments: