Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Christy Drumheller's Potato Salad

Being generally averse to buying pre-fabricated food, I insisted on making the potato salad from scratch for our 4th of July feast in Walla Walla. Thankfully Nick's aunt Christy, who unfortunately could not join us for the weekend, emailed us the recipe, and Nick's unckle Tom bought the ingredients. (Thanks, Tom!)

Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbsp chopped Walla Walla Sweet Onions
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery
  • 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash pepper
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 6 boiled, cooled & cubed potatoes
  • 1 Tbsp mustard

Directions: mix well, sprinkle the top with paprika, and chill before serving.

I followed the directions faithfully (even measuring out chopped onion and celery--something I would never do at home), and the salad was a big hit. I did I completely forgot about paprika, but that did not seem to make all that much difference.

For me, the 3 table spoons of chopped onions worked out to be about a 1/4 of a Walla Walla sweet onion, and the 1/3 cup of chopped celery was one large celery stock.

When I came home, I decided to look up the recipe to the potato salad that was written down for me by Nick's grandmother. I remember having made it before, and good as it was, it has never come out this good. Interestingly enough, my recipe cards (for some reason I have two for the same recipe) omit mustard, and call for 6 cups of cubed potatos, as opposed to 6 potatos. I would guess that in most cases a cup of boiled cubed potatos is less then a single cubed potato, but I have not actually measured it out. My recipe cards also suggest using some parsley to sprinkle over or mix into the salad. I love parsley, so I might just add it in next time I make the salad.

1 comment:

An American in London said...

My potato salad sounds similar to Christy's, though instead of sweet pickle relish I use vinegar, which I'm guessing has the same function (i.e., a little tangy sweetness).