Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Time

Being sick is no fun, but I have to admit that being sick a week before Christmas is so much better then being sick during Christmas. Waiting for the train for 2 hours in the beautiful snow storm left me feeling so drained that when the DFMC group run was cancelled, I decided to skip my long run that weekend. Not running was not enough, and by Sunday night (after spending the weekend printing tens of holiday cards) I completely lost my voice.

Another week of writing and mailing the holiday cards (well over 60), and running only 7.5 miles, and I was ready for our trip to the West Coast. Christmas in Walla Walla was lovely, relaxing and sweet as always. After a beautiful 4.5 miles run into the wheat fields on the morning of Christmas Eve I spent the day trying to help around the kitchen and waiting for the UPS truck to deliver the last of the present.

But not to worry—all the presents arrived and were wrapped in time, lots of turkey, peas and pies were consumed, and the Christmas Eve was another success. By 8 am on Christmas Day the presents “feast” began, and by 11am the sumptuous Christmas breakfast was finished. We spent the rest of the holiday socializing, and eating sweets.

(Oh, the endless variety of chocolates, nuts and dried fruit, homemade caramels, countless brownies and cookies, fudge, pies and a sheet cake… My mind spins…)

The day after Christmas Nick and I drove out into the wheat fields over the Scenic Loop. On the way back, Nick dropped me off about 5 miles away from home and I ran through the fields following Russell Creek Road back into town. Despite the wind and a little bit of snow, it was a beautiful run.






If there are no running events in Walla Walla, someone should definitely organize one. Running through the wheat fields with the snow covered foothills of the Blue Mountains in the background is unforgettable.

Today we are back on the West side of the Cascades, after blazing over Snoqualmie Pass in fear of the coming winter storm. Christmas is over, but the winter magic is not over. After a few days in Seattle, we will be heading to the Yellowstone National Park.

No comments: