Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Suspicious Activity in the Park

These days Fenway is a nice safe neighborhood. Yet the Back Bay Fens is still a park, and parks feel notoriously uncomfortable in the dark. Agassiz Road cuts right across the Fens and is very well lit at night. Still I would suggest you to be attentive and cautious if walking there by yourself in the evenings.

If you were carefully crossing the Fens via Agassiz Road tonight, you might have noticed a suspicious looking person wearing a long coat, slowly canvasing the bamboo growths. The pouring rain and icy road conditions would convince most people to rush home and stay there, warm and dry. A person strolling back and forth and shining a searchlight into the bamboos could be up to no good. If I noticed this character, I would try to walk on the other side of the street, just to keep my distance.

The truth is that the suspicious looking person in a long coat, shining a searchlight into the bushes, was me. Right. This morning I saw two kittens in this area, who looked too clean to be street cats. I presumed that some cruel soul dumped these poor little creatures in the park in the night. But I was late for my train, so I had to walk on, perhaps wrongly so. Tonight I went out looking for them, but of course I did not find them again. Now I can only hope that they really were street cats and thus quite well adapted to the cold.

1 comment:

jcnemecek said...

If they were someone's cat, they'll usually turn to any random human once they get cold/hungry enough. Andy and I have picked up a few cats in that situation and carried them to the shelter.

Given how scrawny Bufkin was when we got him, I'd guess he followed a similar life-path.