Friday, February 1, 2008

13, 17, 67

GrandmaDates, numbers, time... When we were finally allowed to move to the United States, February 1st was the first Friday for which dad could buy us airplane tickets. Yet after waiting for over a year, my parents decide to delay our departure one more week. Why?

My Grandparents in 1941On February 1, 1991, we gathered at my grandparents' to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Exactly a week later my parents and I moved to America.

Four years later, 13 years ago today, grandma passed away in a hospice in New Jersey. My grandfather visited her that morning, but only mom was there when she died.


Aunt Marina and GrandmaMy mother remembers her mother:

'My mother. I heard the expression “Nobody would love you the way your mother does.” It’s a cliché. The more I live the more I realize how true this statement is. I wish I could say to her how much I miss her love, how much I long to have a hug from her. We never appreciate enough what we haven gotten used to having, and often we don’t even notice its presence.'

3 comments:

jcnemecek said...

Is the picture in the upper left your Grandma? Because it looks amazingly like your mom to me...

Helen said...

Yes, that is grandma. I think it is a passport photo, probably from the 40s. My grandmother did not change her last name until my mom was about 6 years old.

jcnemecek said...

Very cool. I really love old photos like this.