Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another Year and Moyshe Haim

Mom and I learned a new family story today from her cousins in Israel. People in the family of my grandfather's oldest brother would say something like "Here comes Moyshe Haim" when someone came home in a bad mood. Moyshe Haim was my great grandmother's father, or my grandfather's grandfather. Sounds like he had quite a temper, but unfortunately I do not know anything more about him.

Four years ago my grandpa, Nick and I sneaked into my parents' house while they were in Europe celebrating their anniversary. Grandpa really wanted to help as Nick and I worked to decorate the house, but I wanted him just to relax. So he sat on the sofa and told me stories about his life. I knew that I should have been writing down his stories. Back then it seemed like we still had plenty of time together ahead of us, when in fact there was only a year left.

4 comments:

jcnemecek said...

I love these old pictures. If I remember the face, your grandpa is the one who is sort of in the back center?

Helen said...

I did not mean the photo to be a trick, but actually my Grandpa is not in it. The two gentlemen in the back right are his two older brothers, Dodya and Markus. I'm ashamed to admit that I can identify most people in the photo, but I have some doubts. So top row from left: dyadya Sasha (Dodya's son), tetya Nadya I think (Dodya's wife), dyadya Dodya and dyadya Markus. The bottom row from the left: tetya Tsilya and tetya Roza (Markus's wife and daughter respectively), my great grandmother Dora, tetya Sofa (Dodya's daughter) with her daughter Ira.

Mom and tetya Roza read this blog. Please please tell me if I am wrong.

Anonymous said...

Well. It is not Tsilya, it is Nadya’s mother

jcnemecek said...

Ha. Okay. The fact that the one I picked out was his brother doesn't make me feel too bad, since he wasn't there to pick out!