Thursday, September 11, 2008

We received an email from our relatives in Israel today. My grandfather’s sister-in-law, tetya Nadya, passed away. The news made me cry. I closed the door to my office, swiveled away from my computer, and tried to take control over my emotions.

I hardly knew tetya Nadya. I met her only once, when I was in Israel several years ago. Perhaps there were other times, but I must have been too young to remember.

In a week, it will be 3 years since my grandfather died. Whenever Grandpa talked about tetya Nadya, his words always conveyed love and deepest respect. He used to call our family in Israel regularly, and was always excited when they called him.

Tetya Nadya was the last link, the last person I knew who knew my grandfather back when they were young. Mom sometimes called her our matriarch. She was the last of that generation on my mother’s side of the family.

2 comments:

jcnemecek said...

I'm sorry to hear that. It is good that you did at least get to meet her that once, though.

Anonymous said...

She was the last Mohican. She took all the Goriatchi’s family history with her.
Everything we forgot to ask or never had the time to listen
I have heard a lot from my dad, but not enough. I did not listen well enough, I missed a lot, did not ask a lot, forgot a lot…. Why we never listen? Then people leave us and there is nobody to ask…