Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Characters On the Train

If you have carefully watched the movie, Room With A View, you might remember Mr. Beebe exclaiming, "Miss Catherine, you have flowers in your hair!" at the site of one of the Miss Alans.

I believe I felt the same today as Mr. Beebe did. As I was getting off the commuter train on my way to work, I noticed a young man with multiple large white blooms in his hair, arranged in the shape of a wreath. I first attributed the decoration to the spur of the moment giddy celebration of the arrival of spring and sunny weather. However, upon closer observation it looked like this was a well planned part of the young man's attire. The flowers were carefully held in place with hair pins.

By the way, the above quote does not appear in the book. Only a vague story involving violets, the Miss Alans and Mr. Emerson is briefly mentioned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post! I feel inspired to re-read a Room with a View now. Or maybe watch the movie and hear O Mio Bambino Caro . . . .

jcnemecek said...

Did the rest of this clothes match his floral decorations?

Helen said...

Now, what does it mean "to match" in this case? :) He was dressed rather normally: short sleeve shirt, khaki shorts. He also had a bike (but no helmet--wouldn't want to mangle those flowers).

jcnemecek said...

Well...you would think, say, a business suit would match well with a flowered headress.

I imagine someone with flowers in their hair would need to be dressed vaguely like Jesus or a milk maid.