Saturday, October 5, 2013

What's Cooking: Cauliflower Dal

I am starting  a new theme. I cook SO MUCH these days, but I can never remember which recipes I used, what I did, etc.  So I am attempting to capture it here for my own reference purposes and of course for your entertainment.  First up is dal with cauliflower.  This is what Nat has been eating for lunch for the last 2 days (and he has a few more days to go).

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 chana dal (yellow lentils)
  • Veg. oil for sauteing
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ~2 Tbsp ginger, minced
  • 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
  • 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • dash of tumeric
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
1. Wash out the dal, and soak for 15-20 minutes
2. Cover dal with new cold water, bring to boil and simmer for 20 + minutes, until done
3. In a large pot, saute onion, garlic and ginger
4. Add cauliflower, tomatoes and spices, and cook for a couple of minutes
5. Add ~1/2 cup of water, cover and simmer
6. When the dal is almost done, add it to the cauliflower mixture, and continue cooking until the cauliflower is soft

Recipes I referenced:

No comments: