Monday, September 17, 2007

More on the Marathon Sunday

The Adirondack Marathon takes place in a small town of Schroon Lake, New York. The course leads runners in a loop around the beautiful Schroon Lake. Vistas of the lake were constantly opening up through the trees on my right, but just as often I was running through the woods. The leaves have just started turning, so the hills were still quite green.



Nick saw me off at the starting line, and then met me at the finish. Of course only he can tell us what he did for over 4 hours, but judging by his happy sun burnt face he spent a good chunk of the time lounging in one of these Adirondack chairs and read papers.







Here are the 3 photos Nick took of me:

1) Madly tieing and retieing my shoes about a thousand times before the gun goes off

2) Waving bye to Nick after the start gun went off

3) Laughing at my name being butchered as I run towards the finish line only 30 or so feet away

(No, the lady in the last photo next to me did not run the marathon. However, she probably did walk it. The walkers started two hours before the runners did).

If you are sick of the marathon details, there is just one more thing I intend to share with the world--my split times incorporated into the course elevation map:









After the marathon, Nick and I headed to Fort Ticonderoga, which looks over Lake Champlain. Unfortunately, not very much of the original fort remained, so most of it has been reconstructed. Regardless, for me it was especially neat to visit this fort because it was from here that Colonel Henry Knox dragged heavy cannons over snow all the way to Boston in 1775.


After visiting the fort we have decided to take a different route home. So instead of heading West back to Schroon Lake, we took the Ticonderoga Ferry across Lake Champlain from New York state to Vermont. The ferry quietly gliding across the lake was supposedly established in 1759.

We headed East through Vermont driving along local roads before getting on the highway. We passed green hills, and farms, and fields of corn. The drive reminded us of riding through Iowa.

4 comments:

jcnemecek said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You made it! Life time event.

Roman said...

Most people (including the original Marathon runner) would end up in the morg after enduring such a strenuos physicial challenge :) You did it and did it for a great cause, so congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the marathon, you're amazing!!! I have been so swamped at work but will go to your site to make a donation tomorrow. I keep forgetting and then at work, I don't have any time, but I'll put a reminder in my phone :(..