Friday, May 16, 2008

Чужой Среди Своих

Metro TekstilschikiThere is this Russian movie made back in mid 70s, which by the way I don't think I have ever seen, that is called "Свой среди чужих, чужой среди своих". The Russian title approximately translates to "A Friend Among Strangers, A Stranger Among Friends", or "At Home Among Strangers, Stranger At Home." I thought that was an appropriate headline for this post.

During my previous visits to Moscow I have heavily relied on my mother's and my aunt's knowledge of the city. This was the first time I was hanging out in the city center without detailed directions from anyone on how to get to where I want to go. I did not realize how badly I know my way around the city. In other words, I do not know my way around the city.

Sadly I felt like I was a foreigner just like my husband and my friends. The only difference was that I could speak the language. Otherwise, I had to pour over maps, spend long time reading signs, ask questions on the street. I did not know how to go about doing some basic things, such as getting on a bus, for example. I thought that I would feel like a local just a few days after our arrival, but I did not.

Moscow is rapidly changing and losing its old ways, while I am rapidly getting older and forgetting the old ways.

2 comments:

may said...

aw this post sounds sad. You're not getting older. We're getting wiser!

jcnemecek said...

Such is life, I guess. I'm astonished at how much the D.C. area has changed since I was growing up here--and I've only been gone about ten years. Sadly, not all the changes are for the better. But, I'm adjusting.

I guess you have to look for what positives there are in the changes you see--both in Moscow and in you :)