Thursday, May 15, 2008

We returned from Moscow happy, but exhausted. Our exhilarating trip was too short, as always.

In many ways Moscow has changed. Advertizement boards are everywhere, including the subway platform. The number of booths selling goods near the metro stations must has tripled. Plombir ice cream s eemed hard to find, while the ice cream booths overflow with Nestle ice cream bars. Pirojki are still sold everywhere, but so are hot dogs wrapped in puff pastry. The city center looked well taken care of--many old buildings were in the process of being restored or appeared to be newly painted. Yet the people have remained the same, though many more now speak some English.

Over all, the things that immediately come to mind are below.

I am so glad I
  • spent some quality time with my friends and met their children, whom I will have a hard time recognizing next time I visit
  • got together with classmates, some of whom I have not seen for over 17 years
  • witnessed Alice and Jon first reactions to Russia
I wish I
  • Spent more time with my aunt skipping any discussion on whether Nick and I have been eating properly
  • Could stay in Moscow longer
  • went to the Tretyakov Gallery, instead of the Pushkin Museum
More specific stories coming soon…

2 comments:

may said...

can't wait to hear your stories about moscow :)

jcnemecek said...

Awesome--looking forward to reading the rest of the posts.

And glad to hear you made it back alright.