Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chocolate Truffles by the Spoonful

Like many women, I love chocolate, and chocolate truffles hold a special place in my heart. The bitter taste of cocoa powder on my tongue turns sweet as I bite through the rich chocolate center. Only special occasions deserve such special desserts.

When I was little, living in the Soviet Union, I remember both my mother and my grandmother hiding chocolates. They did not hide them from me. Rather they saved these difficult-to-obtain chocolate covered wafers to serve them to guests.

While there is no shortage of chocolates in the United States, I still save the particularly fancy desserts for a special occasion. Several years ago, when someone gave me a box of chocolate truffles, I put it away. I wanted to treasure it until a particular gathering warranted such a fancy dessert. Unfortunately, no occasion seemed important enough, and nearly a year later the treasured truffles still lingered in the back of my pantry.

It is indecent to serve a year old dessert to anyone, let alone special guests. So one night when other chocolate supplies have dwindled in our house, I opened the box on my own. Instead of pretty balls of chocolate ganache covered with cocoa powder, thick brown liquid spilled out of the box. I almost threw this chocolate mess away, but I could not bare to part with it. Instead, I indulged in liquid chocolate truffles for the next several months—one spoonful a night.

Eating chocolate truffles with a spoon is not something people imagine often, and even Nick found it a bit odd. So next time someone presented me with a box of truffles I was determined to use it while the truffles were still in a solid state.

Alas, it was not meant to be. A few days ago, I opened the box only seven months after receiving the gift, and it revealed the familiar sweetly bitter thick chocolate liquid. So I am back to eating my liquid chocolate truffles every night, this time out of a glass jar—still one spoonful at a time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helen! Every expensive chocolate shop I've ever visited has insisted that for maximim flavor and texture, you have to eat truffles within a few days of buying them, because there are no preservatives in "fancy" chocolates. [Even controlling for the shop's self interest in having you eat up your chocolates quickly, I could see how this claim is true.]

Anonymous said...

don't forget the cafe fleuri chocolate buffet starts again next month! ;)

Helen said...

I will take the freshness issue into account next time I am faced with a new box of truffles. These were a box of Truffettes de France, sold in Trader Joes and many larger supermarkets as well. Ingredients are: partially hydrogenated copra oil, sugar, low fat cooa, whey powder, coca powder, emulsifier: soya lecitin, natural flavor vanilla. I bet the variety of ingredients might be lower in truffles from a fancy chocolate shop. No?

jcnemecek said...

The refrigerator might help with this issue...

Anonymous said...

I think the problem with storing chocolate in the fridge is that chocolate absorbs the smells and flavors around it. Maybe you could store it in a totally empty fridge?

Anyway, eating your fresh chocolate truffles right away is a "rule" I'm always happy to follow, so I guess that's why I've never questioned it too much. : )

Fivep* said...

Truffettes de France in Trader Joe's? Could you please tell me the store's location? Truffettes de France is sooo good, but i've only found them online sofar.