Saturday, August 23, 2008

Gladioli

Gladioli bloom at the end of the summer. They start appearing in stores and flower markets in mid August. Gladioli back in the Soviet Union did not behave differently.

For as long as I can remember Grandma always got a bouquet of bright gladioli on her birthday. I assume my grandpa gave them to her, because the flowers were always already in the vase when I got to their house.

If anyone asked me what Grandma's favorite flower was, I would say "gladiolus" in a heartbeat. Yet, when I think about it, I do not remember Grandma ever saying that she preferred gladioli over other flowers. Did she? Or did I make that assumption because she always got gladioli on her birthday? Or did she get gladioli on her birthday because she really did like them a lot? Hopefully, members of my family reading this blog will kindly share their memories on the subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She LOVED gladioli. I remember her saying it many times. She did not buy flowers very often but I remember she would never skip the season of lilacs and gladioli. She loved them and she was the one who was buying them