Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Another Project: A Suitable Boy

Because you can never work on too many projects, I started another one yesterday. I am currently reading Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy." Set in the early 1950s in India, the novel follows several families and focuses on Lata, her mother Mrs. Rupa Mehra, and the quest to find a husband for Lata--the suitable boy.


Reading page 323 out of mere 1474 pages, I have decided to go back to the beginning. No, I am not mad despite what you might think. The novel is full of words refering to Indian culture. While I can often guess the general meaning of the word--a food item, maybe a sweet food item, or a piece of clothing--I still do not know exactly what the word is refering to.


So I am going back to the beginning of the novel to look up every unfamiliar word. Moreover, in the process I will humbly attempt to make my "research" useful to other readers by publishing the information I discover into a blog.


Yes, I started yet another blog: http://readingasuitableboy.blogspot.com/. I hope it will be a source of curious bits of information for all, but for readers of the novel especially.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're definitely insane, but now I feel like re-reading the book, too. I read it ten years ago while backpacking through France and Italy. As I finished parts of the book, I'd rip out the part I'd finished and leave it in whatever hostel I was staying in. It became my trail of crumbs through Europe, though of course I felt bad ripping up a book.

Helen said...

And you are calling me insane:)

may said...

I'll start reading this book too. I'll borrow it from the library!