Monday, October 13, 2008

Successful But Less Than Classic Tarte Tatin

The Chocolate & Zucchini recipe for Tarte Tatin was indeed simpler. I followed every step in the recipe precisely—a rare occasion, and the result was tart and sweet but not too pretty. A fine combination. Of course I am no expert, but my tart seemed far from what I think a "classic" Tarte Tatin ought to be. No serious caramel formed around the apples, and the crust was very sweet. I may try to merge the best of these two recipes, if I don't lose interest in this dessert first.

Interestingly enough, I am not the only one with Tarte Tatin on my mind and in my kitchen.
molly's apple tarte tatinClearly the above photo is not of one of my creations, butI have been completely seduced by Smitten Kitchen's recipes and photos. Notice how one of the photos in the linked recipe shows using a mellon baller to core the apples--I must try that as soon as possible!

1 comment:

jcnemecek said...

Well, it looked pretty this time at least.

And it is apple season :) A good time to be experimenting.