Sunday, June 21, 2009

Two Milestones In One Week

Last week we celebrated two important milestones, Nick’s dissertation defense and our 5th wedding anniversary. It was a mere coincidence that Nick’s defense was scheduled for the same week as our wedding anniversary. Yet there is a definite connection between Nick entering a PhD program, and our wedding.

June 19, 2004, Walla Walla, WANick and I met in Seattle. First we became friends, and then we fell in love. When Nick was accepted into the PhD program at Harvard, we decided to move to Boston together, though I had to delay my move a little because of my job.

In August of 2002, we sent most of our belongings to Boston and traveled to Moscow for a few days of vacation. At the end of our stay in Moscow Nick proposed, making our return flight across the ocean ever so sweet. We flew to New York, from where Nick went directly to Boston to start his PhD program, and I returned to Seattle to live with Nick’s parents. By the time we got married in June of 2004, we were happily settled together in Boston.

We moved to Boston because of Nick’s PhD program. While I am certain that Nick and I would have gotten engaged and married sooner or later, I also believe that Nick’s move to Boston might have brought about our engagement a little sooner. Now Nick has received his degree, and so far we have spent out entire married lives together in Boston.

1 comment:

jcnemecek said...

Hooray! It doesn't seem as though it has been that long at all.