Sunday, January 9, 2011

Grandma Jo's Chocolate Quick Cake

Grandma Jo, Nick's great grandmother
whose full name was Anna Josephine
Even though this cake seems to have been popular in Nick’s family while he was growing up, I only made it once before, a few years back—too long ago to remember exactly what I did.

Inconveniently, the recipe omits two small but important details: the size of a baking dish to use, and how intensely to beat the eggs.

I compared the amounts of the ingredients to other recipes of known volumes and gave the recipe a couple test runs. Now I can attest that the batter fits nicely into two 9” round pans for a two layer cake.

In an effort to spread the pleasure of cake over a longer period of time (by freezing some of it), I have also baked the batter in two 6” round pans. The baking takes longer, and the cakes are higher. You can freeze one, and slice the other one for a small two layer cake.
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (186 g)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (39 g)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. 
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F, and butter the baking dish. (I also lined the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.)
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg. (I did use a hand held mixer).
  4. Add buttermilk (I beat the mixture a little more).
  5. Mix in oil and vanilla
  6. Gently mix in the dry mixture above. (I did not use a mixer at this point. If you do opt for the mixer at this point, stay at the lowest speed possible.)
  7. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes for 9” pans, or at 325F for 40 to 45 minutes for 6” pans.
My Chocolate Quick Cake recipe card comes complete with a recipe for the cake frosting on the back.
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 square chocolate (probably 1 ounce)
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp hot water
  • vanilla (optional)
  1. Melt butter with chocolate 
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, and beat all until smooth
In the name of full disclosure, I have never made the frosting above. My note that a square is an ounce of chocolate is just a guess.

So far I have been using a simple ganache frosting instead.
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream 
  • 1/3 lb bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  1. Heat the cream in a small pot until just boiling 
  2. Take the pot off the heat, and mix in the chocolate until smooth
  3. Cool until the mixture thickens, but is still easy to spread.
The above amount is just enough for a 6” inch cake, but should be doubled for a 9” inch cake.

Nick and I also enjoyed the cake frosted with the ganache, but filled with rapberry preserves.

No comments: